Ear surgery, technically know as otoplasty, can reshape, set back prominent ears, or reduce the size of larger ears.
When normal in size, the ears rarely attract attention. If protruding or prominent ears bother you, you may consider ear surgery.
However there is no age limit for ear surgery, it is most commonly performed on children in the 4-14 year old range. The earlier the surgery, the less teasing and ridicule the child will have to endure.
The ear surgery is possible as early as age 5, when a child’s ear cartilage is stable for correction.
Good candidates for ear surgery are:
Adults and Teenagers
- People with realistic expectation about what the ear surgery can do for them.
- People who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions.
- People who have protruding or prominent ears.
- People who feel their ears are to big in relation to facial features.
- He or she is able to communicate their feelings
- He or she is willing to cooperate and follow the instructions
Initial consultation for ear surgery in La Jolla San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering ear surgery
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about ear surgery and examine your face structure and the ears.
You will also be able ask questions about the ear surgery, talk about incisions and risks involve with the procedure.
In our La Jolla / San Diego clinic Dr. Ron Soltero will be showing several pre and post op pictures of ear surgery.
The ear surgery
The ear surgery procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified outpatient surgery center. Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
The ear surgery requires an individualized approach; it can offer dramatic improvement and bring balance to your face.
Reposition protruding ears is the most common form of ear surgery. When a qualified, experienced surgeon performs ear surgery, complications are rare and usually minor.
An incision is made in the back of the ear so cartilage can be reduced or folded. Stitches are used to close the incision and to permanently position the ear closer to the head.
General anesthesia is used to perform ear surgery. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the ear surgery
You may find that a headband has been placed around your face to support the new position of the ear during the initial healing process. It is very important that the bandages remain intact and are not disturbed. Discomfort is usually minimal but any pain you fell can be controlled with pain medication.
Within a week dressing will be removed and your stitches will come out. Healing will continue for several weeks and scars will star to fade out.
Some pre & post op tips for ear surgery
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the ear surgery.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks prior to the surgery.
- Wear headband at night for 3 weeks while sleeping.
- No contact sports for 3 months after surgery.
- Keep head elevated on several pillows to minimize swelling
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
- Avoid heavy lifting, straining or bending over 2 weeks.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about ear surgery you can contact us by phone, email or at Dr. Soltero’s office:
Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for ear surgery