Laser resurfacing also known as a "laser peel," is a procedure that smoothes the facial skin giving your complexion a more even-toned, younger, fresh look.
Laser peel is commonly used to minimize the appearance of fine lines, especially around the mouth and the eyes. However, it is also effective in treating facial scars or areas of uneven pigmentation. Laser resurfacing may be performed on the whole face or in specific areas such us neck chest or hands.
Laser resurfacing removes thin layers of the skin, which will be replaced by newer younger skin. The wrinkles will soften and become less noticeable, others will disappear. However the laser peel will not remove completely your facial flows or stop the aging process.
Laser peel can be done in conjunction with other cosmetic surgery procedures such as a forehead lift, eyelid surgery or face-lift.
Good candidates for laser peel are:
- People with realistic expectation about what the laser peel can do for them.
- People who are in good health and do not have any active diseases or serious, pre-existing medical conditions.
- People who haven’t taken Accutane in the past 12-18 months.
- People who have facial wrinkles form in localized areas, such as near the eyes or around the mouth.
- People with olive skin, brown skin or black skin may be at increased risk for pigmentation changes no matter what type of resurfacing method is recommended.
- People with unwanted pigmented lesions.
- You are 18 year old or older and fully understand the laser peel procedure.
Initial consultation for laser peel in La Jolla San Diego
A personal consultation in our exclusive La Jolla / San Diego office is the very first step if you are considering laser peel to improve the effects of aging in your face & neck.
During the consultation at our La Jolla / San Diego clinic, Dr. Ron Soltero will assess your physical and emotional health, discuss your expectations about laser peel and examine your skin and the areas to be treated will be fully evaluated.
You will also be able ask questions about laser peel, talk about the final outcome and risks involve with the procedure.
The laser peel surgery
The laser peel procedure is performed on our La Jolla / San Diego certified surgery center. Dr. Ron Soltero’s office is conveniently located in the UTC / La Jolla area. Fully equipped with two AAAASF certified operating rooms, it stands out to be one of the most private and select plastic surgery offices in the San Diego area.
The laser peel requires an individualized approach and it might require a pre pre-treatment plan to prepare the skin for resurfacing.
Laser resurfacing is a relatively quick procedure. It can takes anywhere from a few minutes to 1 1/2 hours, depending upon the size of the area to be treated.
General anesthesia is used to perform a laser resurfacing. A Board Certified Anesthesiologist administers the anesthesia.
After the laser resurfacing surgery
Once your face-lift surgery is completed, you may find that a bandage has been placed. Discomfort and mild swelling can be controlled with pain medication and ice.
The top layer of the skin will peel; new skin will grow and be ready for make up in about one or two weeks.
Special instructions and skin care products will prescribed. We recommend that you protect your face from the sun or appropriate sun block should be used after the laser resurfacing surgery
Some pre & post op tips for laser resurfacing
- Do no take any medication that contains aspirin, vitamin E, weight loss medication or any Chinese herbs for 2 weeks before the surgery. A complete drug list will be provided on your pre op date.
- Arrange for an adult to drive you to and from your surgery. You CAN NOT take a taxi home. You must also arrange for an adult to stay with you for 24 hours after the laser resurfacing operation.
- Do not smoke for at least 4 weeks prior to the surgery.
- You should avoid exposure to direct sunlight. Consider using sun block.
- Driving is permitted after a few days, if not taking pain medications.
More specific recommendations will be made when you come in to our La Jolla / San Diego clinic.
If you would like to know more about the laser resurfacing surgery you can contact us by phone, email or at Dr. Soltero’s office:
Executive Drive Suite 105
San Diego CA 92121
(UTC / La Jolla area)
Please click here to check estimated prices for laser resurfacing surgery